“Volunteering is not just giving of your time, it is giving of yourself.”
The quote above is something we hold to be true at SkyView Academy. Anyone can volunteer to help out in a classroom or at traffic, but it is what you can bring to the volunteer opportunity that makes a difference – a smile, helping hand or valuable knowledge. Our goal is to help match your interests with areas we have needs, to create the right balance and experience that will benefit you and our students. We have Parent Volunteer Groups which are an easy way for families to get plugged in and get connected to the SVA community.
- Families are asked to volunteer at the level of their youngest child at SkyView (see below).
- We ask that each of our Elementary families volunteer 40 hours per school year, which includes six traffic shifts. If you break this down, it is about 1 hour per week of the school year.
- For our Middle School families, we ask for 30 hours of volunteer service, which includes six traffic shifts at SkyView Academy each school year.
- At the High School level, we ask our families for 20 hours of volunteer service, which includes six traffic shifts at SkyView Academy each school year.
- Preschool families who do not have any siblings in elementary, middle or high school are not required to have volunteer service hours or traffic requirements.
- Board member spouses are not required to fulfill the volunteer requirements. They are still required to participate in six traffic shifts.
Volunteer Opportunities and Tracking Your Hours
Our Volunteer Sign up and Tracking website is called Track It Forward. This website will allow you to sign up for volunteer events, log your hours from those events and see how many hours that you have accumulated through the year. Each family will have one login, which SVA has created for you, using the main email address for the female parent/guardian (only one email/account can be used per child/family). All volunteer hours are logged by the honor system. It is the responsibility of each individual family to log their own hours with the exception of hours given for early express check-in, monetary donations and on occasions when the SVA Volunteer Coordinator will log hours on behalf of the family.
Directions to log in to Track It Forward:
- Go to the Track it Forward website
- Click on “Sign In” in the right upper corner
- Your username is the full email address of the main email used for the female parent/guardian in the family
- Your password will be sva
- Once you are logged in, you can sign up for events, track your hours and see how many hours that you have completed
- Please use this login (email address) for anyone in the family that is volunteering, we want to track each family with ONE login
- Please keep a running total, on Track it Forward, of how many shifts you have completed in the traffic log box so we can accurately keep track
- It is the volunteer’s responsibility to log these hours upon completion
- Traffic shifts count towards your families overall required hours
- A volunteer can earn DOUBLE hours (1 hour traffic duty = 2 volunteer hours) for a traffic shift when weather temperatures are below freezing, raining, or snowing. The Volunteer Coordinator will notify these individuals when applicable.
Opportunities may range from traffic shifts to being a guest speaker; from recess duty to helping plan an SVA event; from volunteering for a reading group to helping out with concessions at an SVA game; from helping build sets for a play to helping clean up the playground. There are many opportunities and they will always be listed on our volunteer website, Track It Forward. Be sure to check often for new events!
Families who make a financial contribution to the school can also earn volunteer credit. Families can earn ONE volunteer hour for every $20 worth of value donated to SVA. Not all donations qualify for this program. The Volunteer Coordinator will approve and enter those that meet the criteria. You may check with the Volunteer Coordinator if you are unsure if a contribution qualifies.
Families not meeting the requirements for the volunteer program for the school year will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss how this may be remedied. Should a family continue to not meet volunteer requirements they may be asked to go before a volunteer review committee.
2018/2019 Volunteer Valedictorians – Here is the list of families (listed under mother’s name) who are at or above their required volunteer hours. Thank you for your generous service and dedication to SkyView Academy!
If you have any questions about volunteering at SkyView Academy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.